i just have a lot of feelings about women portrayed as evil
(tw: mentions of rape and abuse.)
I want to write a fancy fandom essay evil fictional lady feels but I have too many feeling for it to make sense. Also this is super incoherent but I’ve been thinking about all morning and had to say something about it.
With Merlin, Gwen is a ‘good women’ and has no agency, she is actively denied agency by the writers of the show. Morgana is a ‘bad women’ and she goes out and tries to get shit done. She has more agency than Gwen, but we are not supposed to like her because she’s evil.
But she does shit. So I think its natural for female fans to latch onto her. Its not like Morgana stans are going ‘YES, KILL ALL THE INNOCENT BYSTANDERS.’ But Morgana does shit, and is thus a more interesting character than Gwen.
Or like with Cersei. Most if not all Cersei stans hate her husband Robbert with good reason considering his abusive and a rapist. But Cersei does some incredibly awful shit like murdering children. But Cersei had agency that so many women, fictional and non fictional have been denied.
Its hard not to root for a woman in power when women are so often denied power.
And so often its ‘bad women’ that are in power and the ‘good women’ are passive and stay in the kitchen support to support their menz and that’s all they do.
So its almost like evil women are better role models BECAUSE THEY ACTUALLY DO THINGS.
But its also like they’re only allowed to do things because they’re evil.
And people will be like ‘but how could you possibly like someone like Morgana after what she’s done.’ But will support characters like Merlin and Arthur even though they helped commit genocide.
And maybe liking fictional ladies portrayed as evil is just backlash against the society that through its attitudes and laws has denied women power.
I DON’T KNOW I JUST HAVE A LOT OF FEELINGS.
And also we’re allowed to like characters without condoning their actions.
Idk, someone smart say something about this.
I think you’ve hit the nail on the head with this post. It’s so accurate.
- ibenholt likes this
- paramaline likes this
- kraken-maid reblogged this from thewitchofhighgarden
- minisawhent likes this
- thewitchofhighgarden reblogged this from artifactsofabsurdity
- witchpieceoftoast likes this
- doylefan22 reblogged this from witchpieceoftoast
- ofdarkwater likes this
- ofdarkwater reblogged this from witchpieceoftoast and added:
- superficialmycosis likes this
- artifactsofabsurdity reblogged this from witchpieceoftoast
- witchpieceoftoast reblogged this from penny-anna
- burndowntheirhangingtrees likes this
- penny-anna reblogged this from abigailxhobbs and added:
- perfectlyambiguous reblogged this from bellemarianne
- strangeorchid likes this
- fatasscanbe likes this
- bethgreened likes this
- bellemarianne reblogged this from ladyroxton
- ultra-kitsch-archives said: Remind me to talk to you about teen wolf because good ladies doing shit is a major thing there.
- notophelia likes this
- klefanplz reblogged this from ladyroxton
- angelsscream likes this
- ladyroxton reblogged this from abigailxhobbs and added:
- abigailxhobbs posted this